25 June 2008

Kidstown and plans

I talked to the children's director for my church the other day. I'm essentially taking over the preschoolers for the summer. It's a pretty small program, so I'll only have between 10 and 20 kids 5 and under. My job is to take the curriculum (which is geared toward elementary) and adapt it down to preschool level and then write a program around it for about an hour-long service. I don't know how much I'll be teaching (I'd like to not miss all of church for the rest of summer) vs just doing the lesson planning and giving that out to the volunteers, but either way I'm excited. Janet, the children's director, took me around the preschool area so I got to poke around and see what my resources are. I'll be writing up the program for all of July and August. Since I'm going to be out of town this weekend and next, I'll just need to email her the program I write up for the first Sunday in July, and after that I'll be able to be more involved in the implementation of it. Naturally, I'll be in contact with her through the whole process. What will be nice is that I'll have my mom with me as well over this next week while I'm writing it up, so I can use her as a resource too (she's been teaching two-year-old Bible classes for over 20 years). This will definitely be a challenge for me, but I'm looking forward to doing it.

Tomorrow and Friday I have a final each day, and then Friday afternoon I leave for WI, so classes are wrapping up quickly here. As soon as I get back I'll start my internship. Yikes!

No comments: