16 May 2008

Soon to be on my way!

Well, here I am, sitting in my room a mere three days before I'll be in Boston, MA. I know nothing of the city and no one there, but I'm actually excited to go. Considering how quickly it's all been thrown together (I was admitted into the program just 7 days ago; I just found out my rooming assignment yesterday), it's still kind of amazing to me that I'm going. I'm excited to be out on my own, without anyone or anything familiar, and taking care of myself. I'll be living in an apartment-style dorm, kind of. I'm not sure whether or not I'll have a roommate. But I'll have a kitchen and everything. It should be very exciting.

My host-dad from last summer actually went to MIT, which is just across the river from BU (I live like 300 yards from BU), and he sent me some tips on churches in the area, so I've been looking at those. So far I've looked at these three:

Ruggles Baptist Church
Tremont Temple Baptist Church
Park Street Church

Ruggles is literally about a 15 second walk from my apartment. The other two are a little farther away, but not terribly far. I've been looking at and analyzing their websites for a while now. Park Street seems like an awesome church, but it's got 2000 people that come every Sunday, and since I have a church similar to that at home (Summit), I think I want to try something different for a summer. Find a good, solid church that's not just a replica of Summit in a different place. So I think I've already ruled out Park St.

Just from the websites I can't decide between Ruggles and Tremont. And I was sitting here going back and forth about it in my head, and then I was like, wait, this is silly. You can't judge a church from it's website. A church is made up of it's people. Until I go to the church and see how it works and see how the people are, I can't know what the church is like, regardless of whether or not I agree with their beliefs and their 'personality' as set forth by their website. So at the moment my plan is to visit them both, and any others that I hear of that appeal to me, though I want to find a church and settle down pretty quickly, since I've only got a summer there. But there's no use in deciding now. I'll go and see the churches for myself, then decide. I promise I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

And thanks, Alan, for the advice.

No comments: